January 01, 2008

Beginning

I thought I might start a blog for kicks and giggles. Not sure how long it will last since I have commitment issues! ha I tend to forget or am to tired, etc. I thought I would talk about the things that happen to a new RN.

So first on my issues list is trying to fit in as a new nurse, because we don't know enough. Yes, we went to school and they taught us how to do it by the book, but now comes the application. Like on all those nursing tests. I feel I have the knowledge base, but my base just got a whole lot smaller once I started nursing in the real world. They have to teach you all those rules so you know where to start. Without some kind of structure, how could you learn.


I always felt very comfortable with nursing school, except when it came to tests. Clinically though I always enjoyed what I did. I didn't think real nursing would be as challenging as it has proven to be. Being sure of yourself is one of the biggest hurdles. I remember the 1st few days I worked I wanted someone to check my meds, or to double check my insulin. I still need to ask other nurses if they think it's okay to hold that BP med.

Yes, I did decide to work on a hard floor, but that is because I like a good challenge. I love the heart, and critical care. It gets my blood pumping. The flip side of that is I feel like what do I really know? There is so much critical thinking skills that you need to have to work on this floor. Even more so when the CMR calls out and says your patient is in rapid A-fib. So you have to do a few things. Check on your patient, who is sitting there eating crackers and peanut butter and feels perfectly fine, and then go look at the strip yourself, flip some leads and low and behold it is really just sinus all along. That has happened to me twice now, same patient. It gets your heart racing the 1st time, and the 2nd time you say to the CMR are you sure it is A-fib? haha Which turned out not to be again. It might be all the PB cracker movement.

Anywho... that's my latest!

No comments:

Post a Comment