January 02, 2008

Codes

The other day we had a code at 0430 some yelled for me to get the crash cart, so I went and got it, nearly ripping it from the plug. I was pushing it down the hall when someone said hurry. Then it registered oh yea I have that pt's life support in my hands. Duh! Then I took off running, and let me tell you fat white women can't run!

I get in the room they are yelling all kinds of things, like you learn in ACLS, and I was looking for what they were yelling for but couldn't find it. First code and all. The 1st thing I couldn't figure out was how to get that blue tab thingy off of the crash cart. I didn't have scissors. RN M. comes up behind me and said like this and yanks down. Another tid bit that could have been helpful. Finally I said I don't know what I am doing someone give me something to do. So my pal, RN G., says you record. Which worked out better because I got to see more of what was going on. Let me tell ya night shift nurses have it going on. There are 5-6 nurses for about 35 patients at night and all 5 were in there running the code, then there is me who didn't really count! I am like 55% of the 6th RN. :) It's a great floor to learn on though. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment