January 18, 2008

Pain Pills Coming out the Ears

I can't tell you how many times I have given Percocet since I have started working here. Percocet is like the wonder drug. In the last two days I have given roughly about 40 Percs. That is for about 4 patients. I gave 4 Vicoden to another. Multiply that times 3 days a week is 60, and times 4 for a month that is about 240, and take that times 12 for a year. I could potentially give about 3,000 Percs this year. That doesn't take into account for all the Morphine, Tordol, Demoral, and Dilaudid's. It is pretty bad when I go to get into the Pyxis and do not even have to count how many are there. I know how many is in there just by looking, I can tell if it has changed since I was last there. Just now another pt called for some Perc treatment. haha!

Just call me PPQ the wonder nurse (pain pill queen). Don't get me wrong I don't mind giving pain pills if it makes the pt's happy, because a happy patient means a happy nurse. I don't know if that is true because I just made it up, but I'm sure it is close to the truth!!!

6 comments:

  1. they gave me percocet after I had Hannah. Matt and I laughed because the nurses always stayed until after I had taked the pills like they were afraid I would give them to Matt or something. Believe me if I call down and tell you I am in pain and want medicine he is NOT getting it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady - I found you on Deanna's site...sounds like you're a busy nurse now...come see us sometime - you know where to find me any day of the week!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on getting your RN...;-) Great blog too. hugs, Alicia C(Erika's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's YOU! At first I wasn't sure, but then I started reading and said, yep! That's Rhoda. It clinched it when I saw the word "anywho"

    Miss you too! And I LOVE LOVE percoset (and also Tylox). After babies I didn't want to get hooked or anything weird like that, but I was almost glad when I had pain bad enough that I could take one because the world got sooo happy.

    If you ever come the Indianapolis way give me a call. It seems like when we come into Cincy we're usually buzzing in and buzzing out. Can you email me and give my your number in case we ever get a chance to meet? (sarahmfry@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Great to see you have one now!! :-) Congrats on becoming an RN, that takes a special person. I hear enough stories from my "sibling RN's" to know that is not the job for me. Give me a class full of 6, 7, or 8 year-olds any day!! :-)

    I'll be checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on becoming an RN. You will find so many drugs go through your hands....and you can become so comfortable that some of them end up in the stomachs of other RN's. A drug addicted RN can fool everyone to get those drugs. Always count and document and trust only yourself. Take it from a doctor that has seen it happen too many times.

    ReplyDelete