January 03, 2008

EJ vs IJ

Did you know that an EJ (external jugular) IV is considered a peripheral access? Well now I do.

I came into work tonight and RN A. we will call her says to me, I didn't know if you knew this, but from now on you can't draw blood from an EJ. We got Pt X's lab results back today, which were all out of wack, and the MD ordered her to get 2 units of PRBC stat. She also says to me I thought I remember you telling me in report that you drew the blood. (On our floor RN's draw all central lines, and PCA's draw the peripheral sticks, which might be like that most places.) Anywho she re-drew the blood through the arm this time. The labs all came back normal, imagine that! ha!

They were about to give stat blood to a pt with critical Hgb/HCT. Nice! That is just one of those things that fall through the cracks you know! Unless someone says hey an EJ is a peripheral you wouldn't know. Its in the neck, looks like an IJ, smells like one, why not be one!!

Keeping it real!

6 comments:

  1. It's nice knowing other people do "silly" things at work too. I'm not the only one! Yay, I was beginning to think I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow nurse(CN) you should probably be careful about what and how you write about your experiences. You never know who's reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call BS. The Level 1 Trauma center I work at draws EJ labs all the time. You need to make sure you draw enough waste though, that can almost always cause ridiculous lab results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with anonymous. When the labs are collected through any line and you do not waste enough, the labs almost always come back out of the ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So whats the difference in EJ blood draw and blood draw from arm, both are PIVs?

    ReplyDelete